You may remember that I posted a custom illustration on instagram that was just waiting to be purchased! Well, it HAS been purchased and I wanted to take this time to walk through my current process (always subject to change) for making custom illustrations. This is specifically related to the character illustrations.
If you contact me for a custom illustration, this is the general process we go through:
- First, we walk through the purpose of your illustration. Are you wanting just a hard print, a digitalized version, or something to use as a logo?
- We walk through what you are wanting. I usually ask you to provide different outfit ideas for what you want your character to be wearing. Also, what hair style do you want (up, down, curled, straight, etc)?
- Then posing. How should I pose your character? This sometimes is very clear and sometimes it is more vague.
- Next, I draw up a sketch! I will send this preliminary sketch to you for your approval; after that, the color is added. I can make any change needed until color is added. After the sketch is approved by you, I send the invoice for payment.
- Then I add color! The illustration is complete (unless I need to digitalize it!)
So how did my photographer illustration end up without a home? Sometimes, the sketch is altered so drastically that I just create a separate one. This is how I ended up with the illustration below.
In this case, my original client actually ended up wanting to purchase this beauty as well! I also was able to make some adjustments to the coloring based on her requests (although this is not ALWAYS possible), and we ended up with the final product below.
I think she looks fabulous! I love creating these illustrations for clients and I am so glad to have repeat customers. If you want a custom illustration, feel free to contact me!